Tasty Brown Rice Stuffing / Vegan and Gluten free
Easy to make, tasty, and nutritious, this gluten-free and vegan stuffing is the perfect side at your holiday table.
- 1 cup brown rice or wild rice blend
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Better Than Bouillon paste or 1 bouillon cube You can also use 1/2 cup veggie broth + 2 Tbsp. Tamari
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup celery diced finely
- 2-3 scallions (green onions) diced
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp dried mushroom powder (Trader Joe's blend) optional
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans (or walnuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds) chopped into small pieces
- 2 tsp. fresh or dried thyme chopped finely
Cook your rice according to package directions. I always cook mine in the Instant Pot, but you can also use the stovetop method. You can also use pre-cooked rice.
To a small bowl or glass measuring cup, dissolve the bouillon with 1/2 cup water.
Add the orange zest and the cranberries and set aside.
Finely dice your celery, scallions, and fresh thyme. Set some of the scallions and thyme aside for topping.
In a large skillet, melt the vegan butter and add the fresh ingredients and the poultry season and/or mushroom powder.
Cook until the onions begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
Add the pecans and the rice. Stir to combine and then add the broth and cranberries.
Cook until all the liquid is absorbed (about 3 minutes).
Place in a large serving bowl and top with scallions, fresh thyme, and chopped pecans.